Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Galaxy

Thanks to Travis and Kim, we got to take in an LA Galaxy soccer game. It was really fun, we had great seats and the Galaxy won.

It was a bit tame compared to the last soccer/futbol game I attended in 2001 in Torino. It was the last home game of the season and Juventis only had a few goals to be tied with Roma for the championships. The crowd noise was pulsating through my body, there were people lighting things on fire and then about 30 minutes before the game ended, the fans stormed the field sending the players for cover. Just as they were getting a handle on the crowd, the people from the other side got through the plexi-glass onto the field. Finally, the announcer said for everyone to get off the field or they would be arrested (they must have said it in English, or I had picked up enough Italian by that time I figured it out). So, the people moved to the edges of the field and the players came back out and finished the game. The intensity of the whole situation was incredible. Juventis won the game and then everyone went out on the field and were tearing up chunks of turf and going crazy. A whole new meaning for the term "and the crowd goes wild" for this seemingly small town American girl.

I guess I got sidetracked (imagine that?). Back to the MLS game:


Yes, ladies, I was this close to David Beckham.

Number 14 is Robbie Keane and they had just signed him that week from Ireland. He made the first goal and made our Irish eyes smile (that one is for you, Noreen). And the other guy in white is Donovan. I'm sure most of you probably don't really care and this is all pretty funny coming from me, since I'm not much of a sports fan in general.


Our hosts. : )



5 comments:

Brooke said...

I recognized Donovan--whoo hoo. It is pretty fun to hear you spouting soccer names : ) And I'm glad that this event was much tamer than your Italian game. Looks like you had fun!

kdk said...

Nice jacket! N8N looks svelte, dashing, gentlemanly.

Megan Miller said...

Fun, fun! Great picture of you and your Nate!

Lindsay and Gene said...

Wow, Gene and I really have to make it to an Italian futbol game! I love love the picture of you and Nathan! <3

Anonymous said...

I feel like I have been to Italy, and California all in one trip to your blog! Fun times...all! A Jane