Sunday, July 8, 2012

This Land is Your Land...

This year we experienced the Joint Forces Training Base Fourth of July Fireworks Spectacular. Every year on the 4th, the Base across the from us opens its gates for the public to come in and enjoy some patriotic fun. From our house we commonly see and/or hear helicopters such as Chinook's and occasionally large bombers or a few times a year really loud fighter jets. This time, we got to drive in and park on the flight deck and see the base from the inside. There was a band stand where the "Army guys" (as Wyatt refers to them) were playing mostly traditional American military tunes. We plopped down on our blanket hecho in Mexico and when it got dark, we laid down to see the bombs bursting in air, seemingly right above us. I covered Wyatt's ears as we were quite close to the speakers with tear jerking music about soldiers serving our country and he had his eyes covered. So I snuggled him close and soon he was sleeping to the muffled sounds of America. After the show was over and I was carrying his 30 pounds of dead weight the long way back to the flight deck, he woke up and asked what we were doing. I explained it was all over and we were heading home. "But I want to see the fireworks, Mommy!"

"Driving" a big garbage truck.


Happy birthday, America!





Here is a clip of Wyatt getting into the trombone quartet:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How funny...we were thinking of going there too, but went to Pendleton's event instead! I finally went on base to visit Justin last Tuesday. They have a neat beach that's pretty empty and Justin can get us all on base so, we should all go with the kiddos sometime now that I have Saturday's off!

~Amanda~

Megan Miller said...

Sadly, I can't get the other rendition out of my head..."this land is my land this land ain't your land, I've got a shotgun and you ain't got one..." Tell me you know this too. I had to enlighten my husband. Perhaps it's a product of having spent my childhood in the sticks.

Really cute picts of you guys and the kids!

kdk said...

Oh, sheez, I just taught the boys the "shotgun" rendition this year. They thought I was some sort of genius. Lovely shots of the fourth!