Sunday, July 12, 2009

Didelphimorph follow up

Due to the overwhelming response to my last post, I guess I'd better let you all know some more details. : ) We got an empty box and Nathan knocked the thing in there and released him into the alley. So we're halfway expecting him back now. Eeek!

A few months ago our neighbor saw a mother opossum and eight babies following her into our neighbor's yard. Maybe they live there? I had forgotten about them until Friday night.

I had a bit of trouble going back to sleep after the whole incident. Thoughts such as: okay, there are eight babies, how many of them are in my house right now? Is one curled up snuggling with Amelia? Did it get in our bedroom window? The one with the broken screen? No, it must have waltzed in the front or back door. Most likely the back door. But that has a baby gate on it! Apparently no problem for a possum to climb since it climbed my shower curtain! You see, the way our house is set up, we can't have proper screen doors as one on the front door would open up right into our car, and the back door opens out, so we can't have one on that door either. Our solution are cheap walk-through screens that keep the flies out but not R.O.U.S.'s (Rodents of Unusual Size).

1 comment:

Amy said...

Thanks for the follow-up. My mom was amazed that you took a picture among the chaos of this unexpected event. Hopefully, it doesn't feel a need to return to your hospitable home :)